In this post, I am going to explain what is HTTPS in simple language, hope you will understand.
HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure. It is a protocol for securing the communication between two systems, e.g. the browser and the webserver. The ‘S’ stand for secure your website.
Why we need HTTPS
Nowadays, we are making e-commerce site and some site which is not e-commerce, but they are using a payment gateway, some site has some important database. How we will secure this from hackers and malicious activity, we need an HTTPS browser. For this considering google announced as the URL should be HTTPS. Without this, your SEO does not perform well.
Benefits of HTTPS
- Improved Conversion Rates – Customers are far more likely to complete a purchase if they see that your site is secured.
- Help improve website ranking.
- HTTPS reassures potential customers that you are a secure and responsible business.
- The main benefit of HTTPS is that it adds security and trust.
How HTTPS Works
HTTPS based on two type of encryption protocols
- SSL (Secure Socket Layer). SSL is an older technology that was deprecated and replaced with TLS.
- TSL (Transport Layer Security)
When your browser starts an HTTPS session with the web server, the server sends the public key to your browser, and an SSL Handshake is then performed between the browser and the server. Once the secure connection is started and evaluated, the browser recognizes the secure link and shows the link as secure either with a green browser bar or padlock, depending on the type of SSL certificate being used.