Hello Entrepreneurs! Are you searching out to create your personal custom designed WordPress theme? If yes, right here we’re with a way to it.
Back in the day, we needed to adhere to WordPress codex and had an affordable coding expertise to congregate a custom WordPress theme. Thanks to the brand new WordPress theme generators, as now you could entire the WordPress theme inside an hour while not having any expertise of coding.
In this blog, you’ll get to find out how you could create a custom WordPress theme without the usage of any code.
Step 1. Set up a Local Development Environment:
First you need to install XAMPP on your local computer. Once you setup then you can use this server to develop local WordPress sites. A local site is the safest way to develop a custom theme without touching cod in your live site.
We will be using XAMPP Server to create a local environment as it is the fast and easiest way to install for free. Also, it is compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows.
To begin with, select the free version of WordPress and download the installer. Once it is downloaded, you have to first copy WordPress folder in the XAMPP htdocs directory then you start the installation process.
Once the installation is complete, you should open the program that will prompt you to set up your new local environment. This is an effortless process. This will help you create your local WordPress site in a few minutes. installed, it will look and function just like a live WordPress site.
Step 2. download and install your Starter Theme:
Like most launcher themes, the underscore is very easy to use. All you have to do is go to the website and give your theme a name. You can also click on the Advanced option to further customize it. the basic theme. There you will get more options like author name, topic slug, description etc. A _Sassify option will help you to add SASS (Syntactically Awesome Style Sheets) files to your theme.
SASS is a preprocessing language for CSS that allows you to use variables, nesting, etc.
Step 3. understand the How WordPress works behind the Scenes:
Before you customize your theme, you need to understand the purpose of your components and how they work together.
- Template Files: These are the main building blocks of a WordPress theme. These files determine the layout of your website’s content. For example: header.php is used to create a header while comments.php is used to display comments.
- Template Hierarchy – By traversing the template hierarchy, WordPress determines which template file can be used on each page. This is the order in which WordPress looks for similar templates each time a page loads. Example: If you visit the URL http://example.com/post/this-post, WordPress will look for the following templates in the following order:
- Files which is similar to the slug,
- Files which are similar to the Post ID
- A generic single Post file
- An archive file, and
- The index.
Step 4. Configure the Theme:
It’s easy to think that themes are for aesthetic purposes, but they have a big impact on your site’s embed style and display different information. Most of the hooks are only in the WordPress core, but some are also useful for theme developers.
Here is WordPress Series YouTube link may be it will help you to understand basic