Hello Entrepreneurs! Are you looking out to create your own customized WordPress theme? If yes, here we are with a solution to it.
Back in the day, we had to adhere to WordPress codex and had a reasonable coding knowledge to congregate a custom WordPress theme. Thanks to the new WordPress theme generators, as now you can complete the WordPress theme within an hour without having any knowledge of coding.
In this blog, you will get to learn how you can create a custom WordPress theme without using any code.
Firstly, You need to Set up a Local Development Environment:
Probably it is a server that you need to install on your computer. You can use this server to develop and manage local WordPress sites. A local site is the safest way to develop a custom theme without colliding with your live site in any way.
We will be using Desktop Server to create a local environment as it is the fast and easiest way to install for free. Also, it is compatible with both Mac and Windows.
To begin with, select the free version of Desktop Server followed by completing the registration process and downloading the installer. Once it is downloaded, you may run the same.
After the installation gets completes, you need to open the program where it will prompt you to configure your new local environment. This is an effortless process. That helps you build your local WordPress site in a couple of minutes. Once it is installed, it will look and work exactly like a live WordPress site.
Your Second Step would be to download and install your Starter Theme:
Similar to most of the starter themes underscore is the one that is very easy to get started with. You just need to go on the website and give a name to your theme. You can also click on the Advanced option to further customize the base theme. There you will get more options like author name, Theme Slug, Description, etc. A _Sassify option will help you add SASS files (Syntactically Awesome StyleSheets) to your theme. SASS is a preprocessing language for CSS which allows you to use variables, nesting, etc.
In the Third Step you need to understand the How WordPress works behind the Scenes:
Before customizing your theme you need to understand the purpose of its components and how they work together.
- Template files: They are the main building blocks of a WordPress theme. These files dictate the layout of the content on your site. For instance: header.php is used to create header whereas comments.php is used to display comments.
- Template Hierarchy: By going through Template Hierarchy, WordPress determines which template file can be used on each page. This is the sequence in which WordPress will search for similar templates every time a page is loaded. For instance: When you visit the URL http://example.com/post/this-post, WordPress will look for the following templates in the below-given order:
- Files that is similar to the slug,
- Files that are similar to the Post ID
- A generic single Post file
- An archive file, and
- The index.
The Last Step is to Configure the Theme:
It is easy to believe that themes are for cosmetic purposes however, they have a huge impact on your site’s insert styling and display other information. Most of the hooks are into the WordPress core only but, some are useful for theme developers as well.